Re: upholstry-leather-Morgans

To: "Chris Sinclare" <muirsinc@mars.ark.com>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: upholstry-leather-Morgans
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:07:02 -0500
At 07:22 PM 1/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I would like to leather out the transmission tunnel and the sidewall foot
>tunnel area in my Plus 8. I have the leather. My question relates to
>backing material. Any suggestions on what sort of cardboard or other
>sustance to use to glue the leather to? Is contact cement the glue of
>choice? Is there a good upholstry guide I should read? As always I thank
>you for your guidance,Chris in Comox

Chris,

Funny, I just pulled the leather cover off of the transmission housing on my
'91 +8 earlier tonight.  The leather seems to be attached to a jute like
backing... rough fiber, almost like you would find on the back of some
carpeting.

The leather on the outer sidewall seems to be glued directly onto the wood,
with no backing.  I believe contact cement was used for the leather cover of
the drivetrain tunnel, but I've not pulled the leather off of the sidewall.

Frankly, I'd like to add some more padding to the drivers side of the
transmission housing as my knee seems to rest there when driving long
distances, and a bit of fluff might lessen the pain... but that what
Morgan'ing is all about, isn't it.

Others will have more definitive information, I am sure.

Gary
Grafton, OH
1991 +8