Information

Subject: Information
From: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 13:11:09 +0000
Initially, on the 10th of January (or thereabouts) at the Kruse
International Auction held in Scottsdale, AZ., a 1966 Morgan Plus 4 in
#3 condition was sold for $12,900.

This compares to a 1956 Plus 4 in #3 condition that was auctioned off
for $13,750 at a Rick Cole Auction in Monterey, CA., on the 16th of
August, 1997.

I have then gotten to the point of repairing some of the problems that
arose with our 1987 Plus 8 while on our Holiday jaunt.  In this process
I have discovered some problems that bother me a bit.

One - the original windshield that cracked from the wind had a 1967 date
on it.  It was, therefore, 20 years old when it was initially installed
- 11 years ago.  That sort of gives me a clue as to what happened there.

In the process of repairing the rear fender that had the hole punched
through it - we decided to take off both fenders and repaint then so
that they would look as they should.  Once off we discovered that the
"inner" edges did not even have primer paint on them - to say nothing
about the regular enamal paint.  As a result a fair amount of rust had
developed, not continuously, but in spots along this inner edge.

In other words, the "Morgan System" of hanging the fenders and they
trying to paint them in place leaves a lot to be desired.

I have now decided to remove the front wings from the car because I have
serious concerns as to rust development there too - given the kind of
build quality we are discovering.

We also suspect that very little hardener was used in the original
paint.  It seems to flake off the car very easily and my auto restorer
showed me last nite where he could apply Windex to the paint and then
wipe it - and the towel comes away with a lot of paint on it.  He has
never seen anything quite like it.

Does anyone have any ideas on all this?

Thanks,  Arlo Levisen