Re: Information

To: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Subject: Re: Information
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:52:53 +1000
Arlo,

Yes Morgans used to assemble the cars and then paint them, A practice that
stopped around 1988 we they commenced painting the cars with the wings off.
At this time they also started using two pack paint. For a long while the
wood only received a minimal treatment as well, with the expected results
long term.

I'm not sure why glass should age resulting in it becoming more brittle.

It looks like your car was just a tweak early to receive the better build
treatment that Morgans introduced (not before time) in the late 1980s. As
they say "life's a bitch and then you die". Still driving a Morgan does
make the experience infinitely more ejoyable.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>Initially, on the 10th of January (or thereabouts) at the Kruse
>International Auction held in Scottsdale, AZ., a 1966 Morgan Plus 4 in
>#3 condition was sold for $12,900.
>
>This compares to a 1956 Plus 4 in #3 condition that was auctioned off
>for $13,750 at a Rick Cole Auction in Monterey, CA., on the 16th of
>August, 1997.
>
>I have then gotten to the point of repairing some of the problems that
>arose with our 1987 Plus 8 while on our Holiday jaunt.  In this process
>I have discovered some problems that bother me a bit.
>
>One - the original windshield that cracked from the wind had a 1967 date
>on it.  It was, therefore, 20 years old when it was initially installed
>- 11 years ago.  That sort of gives me a clue as to what happened there.
>
>In the process of repairing the rear fender that had the hole punched
>through it - we decided to take off both fenders and repaint then so
>that they would look as they should.  Once off we discovered that the
>"inner" edges did not even have primer paint on them - to say nothing
>about the regular enamal paint.  As a result a fair amount of rust had
>developed, not continuously, but in spots along this inner edge.
>
>In other words, the "Morgan System" of hanging the fenders and they
>trying to paint them in place leaves a lot to be desired.
>
>I have now decided to remove the front wings from the car because I have
>serious concerns as to rust development there too - given the kind of
>build quality we are discovering.
>
>We also suspect that very little hardener was used in the original
>paint.  It seems to flake off the car very easily and my auto restorer
>showed me last nite where he could apply Windex to the paint and then
>wipe it - and the towel comes away with a lot of paint on it.  He has
>never seen anything quite like it.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on all this?
>
>Thanks,  Arlo Levisen

Dr. Stephen Moore