Re: Out of the paint shop

To: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Subject: Re: Out of the paint shop
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 12:35:04 +0000
arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org> writes

snip

>  We did find rust on all of them to
>one small degree or another - and that is clearly factory
>procedure/ineptitude in that this car was put together with bare metal
>not having been either primed or painted properly.

As I mentioned in my earlier mail to you, this level of deterioration
would be normal for a car built before the big build changes in 1986.

snip

>In having the windshield replaced the glazier actually broke three
>replacement windshields before identifying the stress points that were
>creating the original problem.  He was not a happy camper!  It is not a
>very straightforeward fit - probably due to the '30's design as well as
>the handbuilt characteristics of the body itself - and the looser
>tolerances that appear to be a part of it.

I've never really had problems with windscreens, but the technology is
not very common to most car fitters, so many have to re-learn stuff they
probably learnt at college and not used since!

snip

>All this sort of brings a slightly different perspective to the concept
>of "servicing" a car on a routine basis.  Obviously one has to spend
>more time in tightening the bolts than in changing the oil.

As a matter of routine I expect to spend probably an hour of any service
going round the car with assorted spanners and checking the tightness of
most bolts. Loctite compound helps, but is not infallable. My car used
to shed oil filler caps with the vibration! another favourite is exhaust
bolts.

>The guys that put the car back together don't even want to talk about
>the wiring - other than to say they don't quite understand why certain
>lites function as they do.  I have had some trouble with lighting ever
>since I acquired the car and I have the sense that we haven't solved it
>yet.

The usual problems with the electrics are poor or intermittant earths-
checking the tightness of bolts should extend to the earth wires. Older
cars wiring looms will go brittle with fatigue and some of the crimped
spade terminals will break off. Although my car now has a new loom, I
did solder the more importent fixings to the wires.

All in all, it could be worse, at least fixing a Morgan is not rocket
science. My wife's modern Peugeot frightens me as it has full engine
management, multi-point fuel injection and a parcially multi-plexed
wiring loom. If it goes wrong it will have to go to the dealer!
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4