Baking Paint

Subject: Baking Paint
From: Bob Coviello <70354.523@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:39:37 -0500
David,

The factory was not in the past baking paint. They used lacquer, then 2K
paints that do not require baking.

The usual paints that are baked are cheap, poor quality synthetic enamels
that I personally wouldn't use to paint my porch railings with.
Polyurethanes can be baked, but seldom are. They are OK for your car,
however.

I would insist that my car be painted with a good quality polyurethane
(such as Dupont Imron), an acrylic urethane, or if you want to be
absolutely faithful, and acrlyic lacquer (though this is less durable than
the others). Base coat/clear coat is very popular, and is durable, but not
what Morgan used, either. If you plan to leave the car out in the weather,
it is, however, a good choice.

To answer your question, most factory finishes are baked at well above 140
deg, but that is a limit imposed by the installed soft items on completed
cars (such as rubber, glass, etyc.). 140 deg should not bother your
wood/enamel.

Bob

'80 4/4