Re: electronic ignitions

To: FPS3 <FPS3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: electronic ignitions
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:33:40 +1000
Hi Fred

Dist. shaft slop was exactly the reason I fitted the electronic ignition to
my car. I still had problems above 5000rpm due to the whole base plate in
the Autolite unit flexing. This was overcome by fitting the Hitachi dizzy
(with the crane retained). This may not be such an issue in the lower
revving Fergerson engined plus 4s!

By the way Fred have you found out what the postage will cost on those
windscreen pillars? I'll arange an International money order as soon as. Or
you wouldn't have credit card facilities?

Cheers

Steve

>Electronic ign such as Crane are pretty forgiving about a little slop in the
>dist shaft. Of course it is best to have it re-bushed, but big problem with
>slop is that it alters timing (point gap). Set your points and then push the
>shaft a bit to see the problem. The "chopper" in the Crane doesn't care so
>much.
>
>Fred Sisson

Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers

Dr. Stephen Moore