Re: VS: folding windshield

To: "William Zehring" <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>, "FPS3" <FPS3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: VS: folding windshield
From: "Vern Dale-Johnson" <vern_dj@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:41:12 -0500
I agree, the folded screen is more in the way than not -- better to remove
it entirely.  I do just this on my 66 +4.  With regards to mounting the
Brooklands screens, I've mounted mine "backwards" -- that is the "pins" on
the screens go through the front of the mounting bracket hole, not the back
(ie from the engine side, not the driver's side).  This places the screens
about a half inch from the windscreen still allowing the Brooklands mounting
brackets to be mounted near the aft edge of the scuttle.  I did find the
screens rattled against the windscreen at speed but this was corrected by
using some 1 inch wide leather strapping wrapped around the round bits on
the Brooklands -- holes in both ends, one up against the screen and the
other inside the the wing nut.  Has the advantage of giving friction to the
joint and stopping the screens from blowing over at speed.  Only other
consideration is to replace the fibre washers against the wing nuts with
round rubber washers -- this lets you leave the wing nuts in a north south
orientation so they don't bang against the windscreen when both are in use.

Vern Dale-Johnson