Re: The differences between....

To: "J.D. Welch" <jdwelch@datawing.com>
Subject: Re: The differences between....
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:48:09 -0500
At 12:05 AM 3/22/98 -0700, J.D. Welch wrote:

>My question is:  What is the difference between the +4 and the 4/4?  As
>far as I know, the +4 has a TR3 engine, and the 4/4 has a Ford engine.
>But what years do these differences apply, and what other differences
>exist between the two.

J.D.

  That is the basic difference.  However there are a few other suttle
differences:

1.  The +4 nose, bonnet (hood - engine conver), and rear 1/4 panel sit
    about 2+" higher than the fender.  The 4/4's sit about 1" above the
    fender.

The following are for cars between 56 and 67.

2.  The +4 uses a Moss (Jag) transmission that is remotely mounted in
    the cockpit.  The 4/4 uses the Ford Cortina 4 speed with a Horizontal
    H shifting pattern.

3.  The +4 has a mechanical clutch, the 4/4 has a hydrolic one.

4.  The front spring on the +4 are about 1" shorter than the 4/4's

5.  The guages are different.

These are the basic differences.  The +4 with the TR engine is a little
stronger (100 hp) than a stock 4/4 (65 hp).  However the 4/4 can be
stressed to about 200hp.

Both cars before 58 had drum brakes on the front, from 59 on had disk
on the front.

For a good history of the marque and the differences in the cars from
the beginning, check out the historical articles on the SOL's Morgan
Web page (http://www.team.net/www/morgan).

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V