keeping your cool

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: keeping your cool
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:42:03 +1000
There are a number of solutions to overheating Morgans. Personally I have
not had much trouble with the car here in Australia.

I did however have one incident with it in England when the temp guage went
off the end of the scale half way through the Dartford Tunnel. UK owners
will realise how little chance there was of stopping to check under the
bonnet. We carried on regardless and when we did stop could find no real
evidence of the car actually overheating. The local mechanic at Cranfield
knew immediately what the problem was. Seems that the WOOD SCREW through
which the temp gauge earths had come loose. I wonder how many owners are
going to great lengths to solve overheating problems due to a simple bad
earth?

I have fitted an electric fan in front of my radiator and removed to
mechanical fan (for the sake of a few more horses). Trouble is the new fan
blocks out a significant area of the radiator and the engine runs a little
hotter than before. I have noticed later kent engined 4/4s with a clutch on
the fan. Does anyone know what these fans are off?

The other worthwhile fix is to install a piece of rubber in front of the
cruciform to stop the air flowing under rather than through the radiator.
This can simply be done using the bottom radiator mounting bolts. Air
trapped at the top of the radiator can be eliminated by either a
pressurised or non pressurised expansion tank but a modified radiator cap
is necessary in either case. This should not exceed a 7lb rating as Morgan
radiators would self distruct at 14lb.

One real problem in HOT weather is the puffs of very hot air coming into
the cabin around the gearstick and handbrake. I have installed a piece of
rubber sheet in front of the gearbox tunnel to stop the hot air coming
back. It's made a world of difference.

Cheers

Steve

Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers