Re: Critical Morgan Drivers Tool

To: EPaul21988@aol.com
Subject: Re: Critical Morgan Drivers Tool
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:26:02 -0400
Paul writes:

>I'll still be going off for a drive tonight in the three wheeler. Surgery in
>the AM and want something else to think about during the event other than
what
>they're sticking in me!  Haven't been using the charging circuit anyway.  Put
>the charger on the battery for an hour or so.  Works OK for daytime drives.

This brings up a question for me.  Some weeks back I experienced a
generator failure in my '67 4/4, but not for the same cause as Paul.  Mine
was a bit more commonplace in that the brushes simply needed replacement.
My question is: how long will a fully charged 12 volt batter keep the car
running (assuming no accessory use)?  I asked a few local car guys and got
answers from "well, you live close by so it'll probably get you home" to
"Heck, I got all the way across Pennsy one time in the Cord."  I'm guessing
that the later is closer to the truth (how else could he have gotten all
the way across Pennsy?).  Not that I hope to be loosing my generator,
but... I'd like to know what the limits of 'expectation' are for the
battery.  Unlike Paul, I'll need to use the ladies' hose trick on my (water
cooled) car, in the event that I need to cut the fan belt.

Many thanks,
Will Zehring

p.s. Keep the faith, Paul.  I'm in the middle of some RATHER UNPLEASANT
periodontal work myself.  Food is now a form of torture, whereas once it
was even fun and satisfying.