Re: Breather on 7HA rear end?

To: morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Breather on 7HA rear end?
From: Joseph DeLuca <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:26:01 -0400
Thanks for all the input.

Part of my problem, apparently, was that I was looking at the TOP
of the axle tube instead of the side.

It never occurred to me to look for a hole on the side of the tube,
mainly because I reckoned much of the oil would run out if it were
there.

I'm surprised they didn't decide to put it on the bottom.   At least it
would explain the ever-present rear-end spot on the garage floor.

I'll check again, on the side this time.  If I can't find it I'll drill my own
hole and be done with it!

Joe DeLuca
3/4 Morgan Group
'62 yellow 4/4
Sparta, NJ

:-)   Joseph DeLuca wrote:
:-)   >
:-)   > Can you folks help me out with this one...
:-)   >
:-)   > I recently changed the cover gasket on the 7HA rear of my
:-)   > '62 4/4 to stop an annoying small leak that was growing larger.
:-)   >
:-)   > Almost immediately thereafter the pinion seal started leaking
:-)   > in tremendous quantities.  I replaced that as well.
:-)   >
:-)   > A Morgan friend and mechanic, Jim Perman in Connecticut,
:-)   > suggested the breather hole might be plugged and when the
:-)   > oil warmed and expanded it was forced to go somewhere,
:-)   > and thus the gaskets and seals popped.
:-)   >
:-)   > I've looked for a breather hole or device all over the rear end
:-)   > and axle tubes, but to no avail - can't find the little devil.
:-)   > Jim had suggested it was at the top of one axle tube or
:-)   > the other (couldn't recall which side), but my tubes are
:-)   > solid - no breather hole.
:-)   >
:-)   > Any ideas?
:-)   >
:-)   > Thanks!
:-)   >
:-)   > Joe DeLuca
:-)   > 3/4 Morgan Group
:-)   > '62 yellow 4/4
:-)   > Sparta, NJ
:-)   Joe
:-)     I checked the two spare rear ends I have and cannot find a vent hole
:-)   in any one of them. The unit I am currently using in my 4/4 now (also a
:-)   Salisbury) has a fitting with a 1/16 in. hole drilled at 90 degree
:-)   located in the right hand tube. Why not drill a 1/16 hole in the filler
:-)   plug, an easy fix if it caused more problems.
:-)      Jim