Re: Wires on Wide Body Plus

Subject: Re: Wires on Wide Body Plus
From: scott.barrie@CIMtegration.com (Scott Barrie)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:41:45 -0500
William:

Thanks for your prompt reply.... Clearly we both have too much time on our
hands....:-)

This is Morgan related because I've done the same thing to the wires on my
car as I have always done to my bikes. Essentially to protect the tubes
from chaffing on the ends of the nipples (no this isn't advice for young
mothers) I always wrap the inside of the rim with a healthy layer of duct
tape. Obviously an additional benefit would be an improvement in the seal.
Consequently, until the bead has broken there is at least a modicum of
restiction to the air flow.

> A puncture of a tubed tire on a motorcycle usually results in a VERY
>RAPID loss of air pressure through the spoke holes. On a front tire
>this equals a probable instant crash as there is only random control
>of the front end. This phenomenon is similar to a "blow-out" on old

Yeah, you just have to get up on the pegs and become an instant contortionist.

> With modern radial motorcycle tires on cast rims the loss of
>air is very gradual and gives lots of warning. The repair, unless
>the puncture is severe and therefore irreparable, is done with
>a plug kit while mounted on the machine. You won't even need

Good point. I was invisioning a more radical sort of trauma at which point
we're both walking.

As an aside you mentioned that it was a pain to change tires "even with the
mighty BMW tool kit". In our area, everybody that was into bikes, had a
pair of BMW tire irons in their tool kit, regardless of what they rode.

Cheers

Scott B.