Re: Front-End Rebuild Help

To: morgan1@erols.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front-End Rebuild Help
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:34:58 EDT
Alison,

Pas this info on to the intrepid Mog fixer......

Step 1  get Fred's Bedside Reader.  It is a great ref.

Step 2  Visit the tech pages on the Morgan web at SOL
<A HREF="http://www.team.net/www/morgan/";>SOL's Morgan Web</A>
            and print out John Blair's front end rebuilding info.

Step 3  Make a tool as Fred describes in his book to crank the kingpin up &
down.
            I made one in a few minutes out of threaded rod.  To make it easy
to use, I
            put a left & right bend in one end to make it shaped like a crank
handle.
            Then I slipped a short section of copper tube on the lower end
with a flat
             washers at each end of it and ran on a lock nut.  This makes a
nice
             little grip which turns.  Your Dad's hands will really like this.

Step 4  Watch him do one side, then dive in and do the other side for him :-)

While you're at it, bleed the front brakes; repack or replace the front wheel
bearings & seals and do pads & a rotor turn if it is close to front brake
time.

Cheers,

Ken Payne

63 Plus 4 4 seater, 61 Mini, 65 Saab 96

P.S.  I took mine down in one evening.  Then did a corner an evening including
caliper rebuilds, bearings, races etc.  It really is pretty simple just follow
the instructions.

P.S.S.  When cranking the pin back up, watch that the top of the
upright(spindle) does not get caught on the bottom edge of the steel sleeve
inside the spring.