Morgan Road Trip

Subject: Morgan Road Trip
From: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 19:23:51 +0300
DFLers:  initially, there is an interesting little story on the use of
Morgans in England in the August issue of Playboy under "Travel".

Near the end of June we took our Morgan on a 2,000 mile road trip
throughout North Dakota, eastern Montana and western Minnesota.  At the
Medora (ND) Car Show we took first in our class and got to drive across
the stage of the "Medora Musical" to pick up the trophy.  That was fun.
This was only the second Morgan they have had there in 21 years - so
they were overdue!

Had a middle-aged man in Dickinson come up and tell me that ours was
only the second Morgan he had ever seen - and the first one was from his
childhood in Indiana.  Apparently these car really stick in certain
people's minds.

I have the worst luck with windshields as I had just installed my 3rd
one before this jaunt.  While crossing the Missouri River at Wolf Point,
MT., with the south approach being under construction and in the driving
rain - we had to traverse about a quarter mile of axle-deep gravel/mud -
of course a pebble flies up and puts a nice chip in my new WS.  The
Morgan churned its way through this muck nicely, going from red to
brownish grey in the process.  A road grader was sitting there with
chains to help those who didn't make it.

That is not exactly the sort of treatment one should subject a Morgan
to, but we used to live in Montana and nothing much surprises us.
That's what they build car washes for and there sort of was one in
Scobey.

Our primary destination was Regina, Saskatchawan, and we spent a few
nice days up there.  I guess I had what became a misconception that
these folks might be a bit more familiar with Morgans - given their
British connections.  I was definitely wrong on that one!  I was talked
into giving many of the fine citizens of Regina Beach a main street
demonstration of just how quickly a Morgan can climb the hill from the
water's edge to the stop light at the top of the hill.  I don't think I
better go back there for awhile and certainly not with that car.  (I
know I am getting to be a bit too old for this stuff, but it is so much
fun!)

We also had to stop in Crookston, MN, and I gave my cousin's 16 year old
son a tour of town in the Morgan.  I helped raise his stock in town!  Of
course, the Morgan is a certified "babe magnet" to start with - even
with a grey-haired OF driving it.

So, all in all, we had a great time with our Morgan.  Got a little wet,
more that a little cold a couple of times - but those are minor
discomforts compared to the fun of driving it.  This month we head to
"Old Dogs and Englishmen" in Michigan - can't wait!

Arlo Levisen, Revillo, South Dakota  '87 Plus 8