RE: Morgan Road Trip

To: "'arlo j levisen'" <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Subject: RE: Morgan Road Trip
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:53:10 -0400
Arlo,

A few comments.;-)

> DFLers:  initially, there is an interesting little story on the use of
>
> Morgans in England in the August issue of Playboy under "Travel".
Would that issue have a Morgan as centrefold with a staple near the
hinges of the door?

> Near the end of June we took our Morgan on a 2,000 mile road trip
> throughout North Dakota, eastern Montana and western Minnesota.
In that order?
>  At the Medora (ND) Car Show we took first in our class and got to
> drive across
> the stage of the "Medora Musical" to pick up the trophy.  That was
> fun.
> This was only the second Morgan they have had there in 21 years - so
> they were overdue!
Congratulations!  Especially since you drove the car up and didn't
trailer it!

> Had a middle-aged man in Dickinson come up and tell me that ours was
> only the second Morgan he had ever seen - and the first one was from
> his
> childhood in Indiana.  Apparently these car really stick in certain
> people's minds.
>
> I have the worst luck with windshields as I had just installed my 3rd
> one before this jaunt.  While crossing the Missouri River at Wolf
> Point,
> MT., with the south approach being under construction and in the
> driving
> rain - we had to traverse about a quarter mile of axle-deep gravel/mud
> -
> of course a pebble flies up and puts a nice chip in my new WS.  The
> Morgan churned its way through this muck nicely, going from red to
> brownish grey in the process.  A road grader was sitting there with
> chains to help those who didn't make it.
>
> That is not exactly the sort of treatment one should subject a Morgan
> to, but we used to live in Montana and nothing much surprises us.
> That's what they build car washes for and there sort of was one in
> Scobey.
I thought that Morgans used to be used for muddy hill climbs.  I recall
seeing lots of b&w pictures with "blokes flogging their Mog" up a muddy
hill.

> Our primary destination was Regina, Saskatchawan, and we spent a few
> nice days up there.  I guess I had what became a misconception that
> these folks might be a bit more familiar with Morgans - given their
> British connections.  I was definitely wrong on that one!  I was
> talked
> into giving many of the fine citizens of Regina Beach a main street
> demonstration of just how quickly a Morgan can climb the hill from the
>
> water's edge to the stop light at the top of the hill.  I don't think
> better go back there for awhile and certainly not with that car.  (I
> know I am getting to be a bit too old for this stuff, but it is so
> much
> fun!)

Hey, Arlo, just because it's called Regina, in honour of Queen Victoria,
it doesn't follow that it should be chock full of British cars!
"Regina" sounds a lot better than "Pile O' Bones" as it used to be
called.  Saskatachewan is like North Dakota, only flatter.  As one wag
put it, Saskatchewan is the only place where you can see your dog
running away from home for three days.  People in Western Manitoba call
it "the gap" between Manitoba and Alberta.

Thanks for the trip report.  Good luck on your way to Michigan.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB