Re: Front-End Rebuild Help

To: Alison Moffett <morgan1@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Front-End Rebuild Help
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:13:20 +0100
In message <199806291559.LAA12168@smtp3.erols.com>, Alison Moffett
<morgan1@erols.com> writes
>Help!
>        I'm staring at the front suspension of my 71 4/4 in bewilderment.
>I've got new kingpins, bushings, damper blades, etc., but before I willy
>nilly start to unbolt things and have springs ricocheting around the garage,
>I thought it wise to seek counsel.  I know in principle how the thing is
>supposed to work but need step-by-step instructions in
>disassembly/rebuild/reassembly.  Call it a front suspension primer for the
>Morgan neophyte.  Any instructions/tips from the Morgan fraternity would be
>much appreciated. Leave nothing out.
>        Fred Sisson, if you have your ears on, I understand that you publish
>a most excellent book called "The Morgan Bedside Reader" (or similar title).
>I think I need it.  How can I get it?
>Many thanks to all in advance and greetings from Springfield, Virginia.
>Neill Moffett (daughter Alison has computer and Morgan1 address)

I've lifted this from something I wrote more than a year ago, I hope it
helps. The Clarke manual has some details.

"Things worth remembering:
        The springs are powerful, normally with the engine in the car
you can use the weight of the car to compress the spring, so dismantling
involves taking the oiler bolt out and the assembly disintigrates! No
engine means you need a spring compressor.
        Ream the bushes in the stub axle carrier, not separately and
don't make it a slack fit, as effectively you will be building in wear.
My local machine shop has got used to me and now line bores the bushes
in the carrier tightly to the pin, it slides-but only with lubrication!
        Putting it back together can be a little hairy- use a bit of
welding rod to help line up the king pin with the top mount and oiler
nut- if the spring slips, it will bounce off the garage ceiling! (this
is perhaps a "Morgan Urban Myth", but I don't want to be the person who
finds out!)
        Don't strain the brake hose, not everyone I know takes the hose
off, but some have had a lot of practise. (This is much easier with an
older car with cycle wings)."

I too would br grateful for a note of how to get a copy of the "Morgan
Bedside Reader", Fred?

--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4