Re: Front-End Rebuild Help

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front-End Rebuild Help
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 08:58:51 -0400
Neill Moffett asks...

>>I know in principle how the thing is
>>supposed to work but need step-by-step instructions in
>>disassembly/rebuild/reassembly.  Call it a front suspension primer for the
>>Morgan neophyte.  Any instructions/tips from the Morgan fraternity would be
>>much appreciated. Leave nothing out.

I completed the same exercise about 12 months ago.  I'll grant that the mog
front end is... out of the ordinary, but the rebuild isn't really _that_
bizarre.  I found the best description of the process comes from the Morgan
web site, offered by OUR MAN, John Blair (owner of an award winning Morgan
4/4 (aka the thinking man's mog).

Check out his prose at: http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/art001.html

There is also a figure that you can click to that's on this page.
Familiarize yourself with the hardware and the proceedure before you begin.

As Jeremy said, you need to respect the power in those springs.  As in all
front end rebuilds, regardless of the car, if the tension in the spring is
released suddenly, SERIOUS injury can result, if your face gets in the way
of the trajectory of the spring.  I used the 'threaded rod' approach
discussed by John and it worked fine.  Once you're back on the road, and
you feel the benefits of having 'freshened' up the front end, you'll be
glad you did it!  Morgans handle like they're on rails, and with a fresh
front end its even better.  Again, tho, I can't over emphasize the
importance of using the threaded rods to gradually release (during
disassembly) or to gradually introduce (during re-assembly) spring tension.

cheers,
Will "Dang, I luv this car" Zehring