New owner's questions

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New owner's questions
From: LSelz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:51:53 EDT
(Forgive me if this goes to the wrong or too many places, but I'm new at this)

Question - I know Morgans are supposed to "ride rough" - the pillar front and
hard leaf rear tells me that.  I like riding rough - had a "hardtail" BSA and
an H-D in my biking days.  But I also expect to be able to go fast.  And on
the secondary roads around my home, I have to go really slow in my 1966 4/4;
slower than my MGB; slower than a VW Beetle. At 55 MPH and up, the car comes
off the road, graunches suspension and frame parts into the pavement,  throws
sparks.  On a smooth road, you can't beat it; you can lay it over on a fast
on-ramp harder than anything I've ever driven, can't make it slide, just hugs
the road.  But that's not the reality of our roads, and is bound not to be the
reality of roads in its native England.

It has 185-HR70-15 tires on 6 1/2" wheels; maybe they're too low.  Maybe the
suspension has been lowered in the past; how can I tell?  The frame rails are
5.5" above the pavement; is this about right?  Can the front springs be
measured to see if they're sagging some?  Where might I find these specs?

I love the way the car drives, rides, and pulls on smooth roads, and am
willing to wear a kidney belt on rough ones.  But if I have to piddle along
while Geos and Crickets fly around me on secondary roads, I gotta do something
else.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!
Lannis