Experience

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Experience
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 98 11:24:13 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

They say experience is the best teacher. I say "Balderdash"

Eighteen years ago when I was rebuilding the Duchess I was very careful to
copy each piece of wood exactly and went to great efforts to insure that it
was fitted  as closely as possible as the factory fitted it. One of the
major problems was getting the door openings exactly as the factory did so
that the old doors fit,  Like the factory the last piece to be constructed
was the new door. It was then that I realized that all the pains taken to
match the original  door opening was really a waste of time since you
basically make the new door to fit the opening and the fact that the sheet
metal overlaps the body, tolerances were not that great.

Well last year while building the body  tub for my drophead coupe I utilized
my experience of 18 years ago .

A few weeks ago I  went out  and started on the drophead doors. All went
along well until i was preparing to put in the side screen mounting holes.
Whoaaaa!!!!!!!!
The front angle of the side screen was way off from the windshield post!
After a week of playing with tape measures, compasses and the door frame I
realized that I
I was off a few degrees on the 'A' post angle and the only fix would be to
disassemble the front body tub and put it in right.  Luckily I  also though
to check the chrome side strip to see how it would fit and found that my
opening was 1/6 of an inch too big  ( If not corrected I would have to find
a new chrome strip or live with a gap in the chrome line at the end of the
door),

With the weather a beautiful 70 (F)  and sunny, I have taken the week off
from work, and between exploring a  few country roads in Duchess  I hope I
will  finish the  correction  of the A post and framing of the doors.

A sunny day, A counrty road, A Morgan  running great, some ash and sheet
metal in the garage.........   Life is good !!!!!!

Bob Nogueira