RE: mufflers and exhaust notes

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: mufflers and exhaust notes
From: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:07:40 -0500
Hello Will,

First off, let me say that I'm heartsick that I never made the
time to come down to Sergeantsville and visit this summer, but
someday I'll get there.  Maybe you'll be definitely settled in
by then.

As to mufflers, I recently replaced the noisy-as-hell system on
my 62 4/4 with a stainless steel replacement from Morgan Spares.
This included everything from the header on back.  The parts were
of the finest quality, but the exhaust note was a disappointment.
In fact it was virtually stone silent.  This was in spite of the
fact that I specifically asked if the car would have a decent note
when I placed the order and received full assurances that it would.
OK, I know now that I should have been more specific.

The silence didn't come as a total shock since the "muffler" I
removed was a little spud about a foot long that was on the car
when I acquired it in '85.  The replacement muffler was about
three feet long and twice as wide.  But I didn't want to send
the new system back since my pipes were pretty much beyond
service.

After about a year of use the new system is almost beginning to
develop an exhaust note.  I'm tempted to put the little muffler
back on, but it would take a real kluge of adapters to mate it
to the new pipes.

You're on the right track soliciting for information. I wish I'd
done that.

Good Hunting,

Joe DeLuca
Sparta, NJ