Paint Choices

To: Morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Paint Choices
From: Robert Coviello <70354.523@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:27:39 -0500
<< Will 2 stage last longer, shine more, weather better, resist sun better,
increase horsepower, improve gas mileage, save the world, eliminate bad
breath, etc......>>

Almost. 2 stage paint means that the basecoat (the color) will be covered
with a clear coat of urethane that will shield the pigmented layer from the
air (oxidation) as well as UV, since most clears contain UV blockers.

The down side is that unless due care is taken, the clear can delaminate
from the basecoat, and if you polish with abrasive polishes, you can go
right through the clear eventually.

Also, unless you color sand the clear with fine sandpaper (1200-1500 grit
wet) then polish the surface out with compound, quite often, the gloss
appears unnatural and gawdy, unlike the patina of single stage paint.
Also, "spotting" of 2 stage paint is very difficult, and the usual
procedure is to repaint an entire panel, either with new basecoat and
clear, or at least clear after the trouble spot was repaired and blended
with basecoat.

Modern, single stage urethanes are more "original" in appearance and will
last indefinately if reasonable care is taken of them. Prices vary from
DuPont Nason Fulthane (at about $95/gal) to some reds in DuPont Imron (at
about $300/gal) with hardener. I find both are about the same to work with
and produce similar initial results, but since Fulthane is new, I cannot
vouch for its durability. I have painted aircraft with Imron that look fine
15 years later even with outdoor storage.

 The cost of a single stage paint is a cheaper (depending upon the
particular paint), but the big difference is in the labor to do the 2
stage.

Bob

'80 4/4
'74 TR6