"ordinary history"

To: "Jeff Smith" <smithmog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: "ordinary history"
From: "Fred Schuchard" <fschuch@jaguarsystems.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:13:16 -0500
Jeff,

The previous owner of my DHC has promised to furnish photos and info
pertaining to the repairs and restoration work that he did during his tenure
with the car but he just recently moved, hasn't completely unpacked and
therefore hasn't found the material yet. I'm quite anxious to get this
information, needless to say.

As to who would spend over $3000 for a DHC in the 60's, I tried to! Starting
in 1963, I worked for an imported car dealership by the name of Ed Roth &
Son in Glassboro, NJ. We were franchised to sell MG's, Austin Healeys, Alfa
Romeos, Saabs, Lotus's, Elvas, and Morgans. Our Morgan distributor was
Fergus Fine Cars in New York. Unfortunately, the only time we could get new
Morgans was when Fergus had an overstock in their Manhattan showroom and
then we got "pot luck" on colors, models, etc. The best we ever did was to
stock one car at a time. During the period of time between '63 and '64 I had
a standing order placed for a DHC for my own use but it never came in. I'm
sure Fergus retailed any that they received, including the one that I have
now. How could I afford it? Easy - I was single and my only obligation was a
$90/mo. apartment rental. Not a care in the world! Also, I could generally
buy at a steep discount and sell through the dealership and break even as
long as I didn't keep the car too long. When it became obvious that I wasn't
getting the Morgan, I bought an Elva Courier in 1964, also an interesting
car which I wish I had now! Ah, the good old days!
Now the DHC takes a back seat to a sailboat restoration (also 60's vintage)
which has been endless. I guess I'm having fun.

Fred Schuchard
63 Plus 4 DHC #5202
fschuch@jaguarsystems.com