silicone brake fluid

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: silicone brake fluid
From: Stephen.Stierman@huntington.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:55:48 -0500

Silicone brake fluid seems to be one of those items that seems to evoke
various tales of dire consequences put forth by various experts, engineers,
groupies and fellow travelers.   I certainly value Greg's thoughts on the
subject.

The only thing I can tell people who are interested; is that I first
started using the stuff about 20 years ago on restored British cars that
had totally flushed and rebuilt brake systems and have had NO PROBLEMS
WHATSOEVER.   I used it because if it did leak, it would not remove the
paint from a nicely restored firewall or chassis.  My cars are used
regularly and driven with SOME gusto, although not used in competition.  I
have had a chance to disassemble systems that had had the stuff in them for
years and found no sign of deteriorated rubber seals or cups.  I will put
it in my Mini when it is finished.   Do what you like, use it/don't use it.
The stuff does what it is supposed to do under normal use.
My best,
Stierman
69 Plus 8, R7083