RE: silicone brake fluid

To: "'Stephen.Stierman@huntington.com'" <Stephen.Stierman@huntington.com>,
Subject: RE: silicone brake fluid
From: "Willburn, Gerry" <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 07:43:17 -0800
I can attest to BOTH sides of the controversy.  We started using silicone
fluid in Barbara's SNOBMOG about 20 years ago.  When we disassembled the
brakes for our current (first) restoration, we could see no signs of wear in
either rubber or cylinders.  We will put silicone fluid back in when we are
ready for the road again (later this year).

On the other hand, trying to convert our 330 Ferrari to silicone was a
disaster.  The seal swelling Greg mentioned caused the rear wheel half of
the dual master cylinder (Which has a strange type of connection to the
front wheel half) to stick in the cylinder when the brakes were released
with the resultant loss of rear wheel braking.  On the front wheels, the
newly rebuilt (and sleeved by White Post) front calipers leaked.  That could
have been from seal sweel or the fact that they had been sleeved with brass.
I have since heard that, because the silicone is more prevasive than glycol,
it is difficult to seal brass sleeved cylinders.

You pays your dime and takes your choice.

Gerry