buying a new/old morgan

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: buying a new/old morgan
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:27:47 -0500
Jon et al.,

Needless to say, I couldn't agree more with my learned colleagues on this
grand list, regarding all the rites of transition that the new owner of an
old Morgan should/would/could and will go through.  I wouldn't be myself if
I didn't add a few of my own words (tho, I'll stay away from the fact that
you have the wrong engine in your car, considering I'm a card carrying
member of the Merry band of 4/4 brothers), but...

On a moderately serious note:  I don't know where you live or how far away
spring is for you, but if you can, I urge you to do a little preventative
maintenance before you get too far into the driving season.  Unless you
have faith in the PO, I'd seriously consider replacing all hoses (coolant
AND brake), belts (one, right?), and fluids (oils, coolants, hydraulic
fluids), and a new thermostat.  Its cheep insurance and an easy way to
start getting some grease under your finger nails sneaking around your
new/old mog.  Clean the battery terminals and the ground attachements.
Lube the front end, and the rear end, while you're at it.  Check the tranny
and diff oil levels.  It'd be a dang shame if on some great spring sunday
morning you're tooting around the local hillocks and you do a quick coolant
dump.  If the $ is available, I'd even contemplate a new water pump and a
new fuel pump and a new voltage regulator.  That's a bit extravagant,
perhaps, but if you think of it as insurance, it doesn't seem COMPLETELY
silly.

Anyway, good for you!

Take care of this baby...  and it'll take care of you.

cheers,
Will Zehring
'67 4/4