pulling a 4/4 engine

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: pulling a 4/4 engine
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:16:30 -0500
Dear all:

It appears that I've finally snagged a 1600 X-flow engine (taken out of a
1970 TVR), and am looking to make the swap in the spring.  I have a few
questions, mechanical and philosophical...

--the shop manual that I've been using for this car suggests that I can
pull the 1500 out and keep both the tranny and radiator in the car.  Is
this true?  The manual says that all I need to do is remove the
tranny-to-chassis mount and push the tranny back (presumably compressing
the prop shaft at its spline).  I'm inclined to remove the rad; it's not
hard to do, now that I already have the cowl off, and that'll give me a
nice chance to clean it up and repaint it (the rad, that is).

--on a more philophical note; what should I do with the old 1500 mill?  One
voice says "sell it immediately, to the guy who keeps bugging you to buy it
for his lotus super seven."  Another voice says "keep it; its a good engine
and afterall its probably the original engine and it's a bloody shame to
permanently separate a car from its original engine."  A third voice says
"keep it; you have the storage space and these engines are only going to
get harder to find.  Some orthodontist with more money than sense is going
to blow a hole in his doing some such vintage racing and will pay much $$$
for yours, in the years to come."

As usual, I anxiously await all recieved wisdom from list members on these
important matters,

cheers,
WZ