Re: F2 progress report & questions

To: FPS3@aol.com, British-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: F2 progress report & questions
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:34:57 EST
Well , more questions.  I got the radiator off and have inspected both the
front motor mount and the cross head.

The motor mount is of the stock F2 type.  2 bolts through the cam cover.  In
this case one has been drilled out and a larger diameter bolt has been fitted
at some time in the past.  Unfortunately, this larger bolt has stripped out in
the block.  The bolt turns and cannot be torqued.  It's on the driver's side
of the car and as I look at it , it appears that one could drill a hole right
through the block and put a nut on the backside of the cam cover. ??!!??
Alternatively, any opinions about a helicoil ?  The ultimate fix is to build a
new front motor mount picking up more of th bolts than two.  I'll work on that
for the long run but I want to get the car back on the road.

The cross head is obviously bent.  I estimate 1/2 inch on the bottom member
only, toward the rear of the car on the driver's side. Maybe a little more.  I
believe I can get this straightened but I'm wondering abut any opinions from
those more experienced than I.  Is this advisable?   I'll check for 'square'
by measuring the diagonals but anyone have a tried and true procedure to check
the front cross head?

I'm meeting with a local shop to discuss repairs to the radiator, that should
be interesting,  It's a hot rod shop who claims to have worked on similar
projects.  I'll keep my finger's crossed.  I've got leaking and some cosmetic
work.

Someone posted that all early Morgans were painted with a brush.  Is this the
case ?  The comment was 'it looks different',  yes I'd say.  I guess I'd be
willing to try the brush route, since I'm anxious to get a more period paint
job on the old girl.  Anyone tried the brush route as opposed to spraying ?
What were the results?

REgards;
Bob Paul

PS:  Fred, if you check your mail, hope you're enjoying Florida.