Re: Seeing over the steering wheel

To: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>, Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>,
Subject: Re: Seeing over the steering wheel
From: Arlin Robins <michael@arlinart.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:15:15 -0800
At 05:38 PM 3/6/99 -0500, Jane McDaid wrote:
>My daughter's only 5'2" and she can't see over the wheel either. I'm 5'5"
>and can barely see over it. She usually just puts a folded moving pad under
>the seat cushion. Works fine.
>
>I've been thinking about just making a taller seat bottom. Two pieces of
>ash and a small sheet of plywood and a steel strap using the old one as a
>pattern can't be that hard to make.
>
>Jerry Murphy
>'67 +4
>
>At 11:03 PM 3/5/99 -0800, Jon Callas wrote:
>>I don't know about you, but when I sit in my Mog, my eyes are barely over
>>the hood, or bonnet if you prefer. It also makes the wing mirrors useful
>>for little more than seeing the headlamps of someone parked behind me, but
>>that's a different story.
>>
>>Tamzen and I have mused about finding some high-density foam, or at least
>>an old telephone book to sit on. Has anyone else addressed this problem?
>>
>>      Jon

Jon,
        I like Jerry's idea; it sounds like a solution which won't significantly
change the appearance or character of the original seat, and will be alot
kinder to the gluteals than the yellow pages.
At 5'3," I didn't know you could/should look OVER the steering wheel. My
problem is reaching the pedals with a 28" inseam and the lack of lateral
support on my bench seat. My temporary solution has been a contoured lumbar
support cushion with a piece of non-slip material on the back. It's given
me adequate reach and support (lumbar & lateral).
        Btw, it was nice to meet you and Tamsen last week @ the Talent Show Run.
Good Luck.
Michael
Michael Jhon