Re: To buy restored or self restore

To: John <jjs3rd@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: To buy restored or self restore
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 06:26:13 -0500
If the car is all there, with the original engine and gearbox, you might
want to sell it to someone who'll restore it, if you're not up to the
hassles involved. But if the car is sold in bits and pieces, it will keep
any number of other cars currently alive and well, so it isn't a total sin
to dispose of it that way. Those of us who have restored cars and have also
bought cars that were 'restored' by others will tell you that the restored
ones always go for less, discounted probably for the uncertainty of what's
underneath the new paint and shiny valve covers, than the cost of the
restoration. Most people who restore their cars do it because they want to,
not because they think they're going to make money on the final product.

You should go and find a well-prepared car of similar vintage and see
whether or not it is something you'd enjoy driving once it was done. Some
folks are Morgan people, some are old Porsche people and frequently ne'er
the twain......

But definitely, if you're approaching this from the financial end, you'll do
best selling a complete car (even in pieces), I'd think, but I would bet the
membership of this list has plenty to say about that. (Remember, about half
the value of a Morgan, especially an old Morgan, is the labor cost of
putting it back on the road.)

Chip Brown