Re: Prowler (was Questions?)

To: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Subject: Re: Prowler (was Questions?)
From: GOLDMAN <snotrek@cil.qc.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:58:28 -0500
I beleive you are being unkind to the Prowler and its purchasers.

The Prowler is a "retro" vehicle...or an attempt to rewaken memories of
a past motoring age...in this case the American hot rod. A Morgan owner
should have a natural sympathy for the motivation behind any attempt of
this nature.

If we were going to compare a Prowler..the question is to what?

Let's take the Plus 8 1998 (though that year is not the most performant
of the series)

A Prowler puts out 219bhp, the Plus 8 185bhp.
The Prowler weighs 2838 pounds, the Plus 8 2068 lb
Power to weight ratio for the Prowler is 12.96:1, versus 11.18:1 for the
Plus 8

The  Prowler has slightly better torque mitigated by an automatic
transmission.

I found the car to be finished as well as any high quality American mass
production car.

The Prowler handles well...sorta like a large go-kart and makes a great
hot-roddy sound. It takes off well from a standing start but loses
something because of the automatic transmission. The Plus 8 has more
pull...especially after the first few seconds and speed control is more
fun with the the short travel gear shift. Though they have similar top
speeds the Plus 8 will get there faster.

The Prowler is listed as much cheaper at $39,000 but the two dealers I
talked to said there is large premium on that price.

In sum...anyone who loves the Prowler...and there will be many..should
adore the Plus 8. (hot rod dreams aside).