purple gas (was: What was the purpose of running boards?)

To: "'F Kuzyk'" <fkuzyk@cgocable.net>
Subject: purple gas (was: What was the purpose of running boards?)
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:36:14 -0500
Fred,

We're at the edge of the Canadian Shield, too far East to be in the farming
area.  For those who are puzzled by the notion of "purple gas," farmers can
get gas at reduced prices (no road tax) for use in farm equipment such as
tractors.  Makes sense to me although, to be consistent, I should be able to
use the same stuff in my lawn mower.  But I only use 5 L or so per year so
it's no big deal.  Anyway, to identify this gasoline, a colouring agent is
added and the RCMP ("Mounties") have been known to check suspicious cars
(don't ask me how a car can be suspicious) for purple gas.  Folklore has it
that you can remove the colour by passing the gasoline through a loaf of
bread (no, I don't know if it has to be brown, white, rye, or sourdough).
Doesn't do much for the bread and you may end up with crumbs in the gas
tank.  I've also heard that it takes out too much colour which might raise
suspicion.  Another way to avoid road tax is to use a diesel-powered engine
and use heating fuel oil, which is basically kerosene.  This is very
tempting because sources of diesel fuel are not very common around here and
those who still heat their homes with fuel oil have 200 gallon tanks in
their basement and you can drive a lot with one tank full.

Chuck Vandergraaf (who really has to get back to work now)
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB