RE: Positive or Negative Earth

To: LSelz@aol.com, Dave.Vodden@uk.ecitele.com
Subject: RE: Positive or Negative Earth
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 13:50:40 -0700
Actually, it does.

Better electron emission is obtained when the center electrode of the spark
plug is of negative polarity.  This is because of the thremonic emission
effect from a cathode (negative electrode).

The output from a coil is a decaying sine wave.  That is, alternating
positive and negative pulses with each one smaller than the previous one.
Optimum performance is obtained when the system is polarized such that the
first swing (the largest) is negative on the center electrode of the spark
plug.

This all sounds very esoteric but in actual fact it makes little difference
in actual performance.  Modern ignition systems have sufficient voltage that
you will get adequate performance without worrying about polarity.  If you
reversed the wires on the coil you most likely would not notice the
difference in performance.

Ignition tends to be binary.  That is, it works or it doesn't.  If a spark
is hot enough to fire the fuel mixture, a hotter spark does not do it any
better!  If your car does not electrically misfire, it is adequate.

Gerry