electrical connectors

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: electrical connectors
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 02:06:40 EDT
Smeone recently asked about restoring non-fuctional connectors, and most of
the advice seemed to be to replace them. Sometimes, however, there is not
enough slack wire to make this easy I recently found all 5 lights on the
right front corner of my Citroen glowing with only a feeble reddish hue, and
on investigation found the ground wire connector (torpedo type) corroded. The
male end was easy to burnish with a bit of emery cloth, and the female part
was restored by rolling a 1/2" wide strip into a match-stick diameter roll,
and twiddling inside the female orifice., restoring all the lights to their
normal brilliance.
My question is, should I then coat the contacts with dielectric grease,
vaseline, or somthing, to ward off corrosion in the future. I know that
petroleum is an insulator, but it is recommended for use on battery posts.
Dave Collins, San Diego