Re: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch

To: DGreimel@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch
From: Ben Palmer <palsy@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 04:56:27 -0400
Dear Autoux:

    You explicated correctly:::
"5. There are two theories as to how electricity works,  Conventional
theory says that electrons travel from pos to neg and was favored by my
physics professor.  Electron theory says that electrons travel from neg
to pos and is favored by those in electronics.  It plays hell with
people who take physics and electronics at the same time but neither
theory can be disproven and the simple fact is that it doesn`t make a
bit of difference which one you believe as long as you are consistent."

In 1965 I had an interview with John McCarthy at Princeton for Computer
Science, accompanied by my Indian priya.  PU was oriented towards
electrical engineering.  I was a mathematician and our computer research
was oriented towards physics.  He asked me to explain transistors and
semiconductors.  I told him I didn't believe in electricity, but
mechanical gears or hydraulics.  If they couldn't agree after 200 years
which was + or - or which direction the electrons (or holes) travelled,
I said I didn't have a lot of confidence in electricity.
He was not amused!

Ben Palmer