Re: electronics

To: LSelz@aol.com, Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>,
Subject: Re: electronics
From: Art Hart <arthart@bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 11:02:44 -0400
Stephen,

I have the same set up on my '64 +4 and the Pertronics unit failed recently one
day when trying to start the car.  I diagnosed the problem to be in the
Pertronics unit and not in the MSD 6AL unit nor the MSD coil.  A call to
Pertronics had a new one on the way and I ended up putting the points back in
to get me going.

I have never felt the coil to see if was hot at lower speeds, but it could be
that since the MSD unit does produce multiple sparks at the lower rpms and at
higher rpm it only has time to produce one spark that more heat is generated at
the lower rpm.  Have you tried talking with MSD about it?

This did teach me to carry a set of points and condenser with appropriate quick
connects all wired and ready to put in in case of a road side failure.

Art Hart