Fred, I Hope You're Right....

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Fred, I Hope You're Right....
From: LSelz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 22:41:17 EDT
As the Morgan continues on jack stands while the weather turns more and more
beautiful, I thought I was about done de-racing it and was ready for the
road.  Then I found the last duct-taped wire splice that I'm ever going to
mess with.  I took the advice to heart in FS'sMBR, took a careful look, and
pulled every single wire out of the Morgan.  Upon laying it all out on a 3 x
8 worktable, I'm glad I did.  There were melted places in the harness, wires
scabbed on everywhere; a few familiar identifiable Lucas color-codes still
existed, but darn few.   From the headlight switch to the near-side headlight
bulb, there were 4 twisted-together-and-taped unsoldered splices and 5
crimped connectors; no wonder my headlights were like holding a candle out in
front of the car.

Since I'm going to add a few things like a headlight relay, fuel pump safety
switch, and wire it so the brake lights are to BAT rather than IGN etc., I'm
going to follow the BR and do it myself.  Put in a decent ground bus, a
decent fuse box, two labels at each terminal, 14g wire everywhere etc.  Three
hundred ninety dollars was the cheapest I could come up with for a stock
harness, and I'd be adding wires to it;  Fred says you can wire the whole car
with your own wire in two evenings.  (Maybe he lives above the Arctic Circle
somewhere where they have REAL evenings).  Do a nice laminated wiring diagram
on the CAD system so the next owner won't cuss me too bad.

One result of this is a working-but-not-needed Jacobs computerized ignition,
Ultra-Coil, and rev-limiter.  The car ran great with it, but I'm going to go
back to the coil for simplicity.  The rest of the race-stuff (accusump, halon
system, every-temperature-gauge-in-the-world, roll cage, racing buckets) I
traded off even-up for stock stuff (bumpers, brackets, Smiths tach, bench
seats, stock fuel tank).  The Jacobs ignition I hate to sell because it
doesn't have any instructions with it and I have no idea how to set it up,
but I'll box it up and give it away to someone who knows what to do with it.
The labels are still on most of the wires (like "unground this wire to enable
anti-theft" and "connect this fuse last before starting car" etc).  No
warranty expressed or implied but you can't beat the price.  Let me know.....

                                                        Lannis