Re: For Those Who've Read the C&D Article...

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: For Those Who've Read the C&D Article...
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 21:47:18 -0700
Bob Nogueira wrote:

> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>
> David:
>   I just finished reading the Car & Driver article and have rather mixed
> feelings.
>
> Charles does not have the experience of the Plus 4 Plus and I for one always
> expected that he would make changes to the car.
> Pete  when asked why he did not raise the price of the car once said  that
> it was the owners of older Morgans who bought the new cars and supported the
> company and he did not want to price them out of owning a New Morgan.
> I don't believe Charles see it the same way.  If Morgan was appealing to the
> same market segment it did back in the 50s and 60s the car would be priced
> with BMW and Miata not Porsche and Jag. I find it strange that he did all
> the current changes
> with coated chassis and stainless steel across the board rather than making
> it an option thus holding down the price of a basic car. . I wonder if he
> will simply replace the current model with the new  BMW/Prowler/Morgan. (
> Funny how all the Modern companies are going for the  Retro  look and the
> Morgan is trying for the Modern look.
> As for me, if Morgan was selling  cars for the price of a Miata or Mustang
> I'd buy a new one. Selling  a 80,000 dollar Morgan, regardless of
> performance,is a  little like Walmart opening a fine jewelry  department.
> On the other hand moving  the price range of your car up as your customers
> base grows older and more affluent worked for Volvo and SAAB in the USA.
>
> Personally I think Morgan will end up like Avanti. Aleman would not change
> the  car and made money every year . He too had a waiting list and sold  85
> % of his production to current Avanti owners. Once Aleman died the new
> owners attempted to update the car and planned expanded sales . They went
> belly up within a few years .Morgan can build a better old fashion car than
> anyone, but Chrysler can build a much better RETRO car than Morgan.
>
> And that's my two cents worth ( Two dollars worth if you subscribe to
> Charles theory)
>
> Bob Nogueira   ( who came in from the garage because he sheared a bolt in a
> hole                             and now has nothing better to do )
>
> PS I also just got to reading the article in British Car about our man Greg
> Solow. Now thats the guy Charles needs living in the trailer behind the
> factory.
>
> -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------
>
> > Date: Saturday, 08-May-99 06:18 PM
> >
> > From: mcrossan@netcom.ca       \ Internet:    (mcrossan@netcom.ca)
> > To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
> >
> > Subject: For Those Who've Read the C&D Article...
> >
> > From a business perspective, I was just wondering what people think of the
> > MMC'c current  state of affairs and Charles' and Chris Lawrence's plans
> for the
> > future of the company  that were expressed in the latest issue of Car and
> [...]
manufacturers have learned to their sorrow, the customers for $80k cars
have short attention spans and little loyalty.(Ask
Maserati,Lamborghini,Bugatti II,Iso,etc.)If Morgan wants to make such a
car as a technology statement or a racing platform, I can understand
that,so long as it represents the top of the line and not the only
product.
        I'm not some Luddite married to sliding pillars-I can understand
the notion of improving handling and ride, but really,a ".60 drag
coefficient needs to be .40"? "Power windows and ultimately, a power
top"? How many people on this list have a desire to cut louvers in their
front fenders to relieve the air pressure lift at high speeds? Do ANY of
the above have any relevence to the car's ability to meet increasingly
tough safety standards?
        Sorry about the tone of this venting. I sincerely want Morgan to
be around for my kids to reasonably aspire to.
                                Jeff Smith
                                1968 4/4