Re: Morgan wiring continued

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morgan wiring continued
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:35:31 -0400
At 09:39 PM 5/16/99 EDT, you wrote:

>The 4/4 looks really clean under the hood and dash - mainly because there
are
>no wires in it.....

Lannis,  I did rewire my 65 4/4 - see my article on my Morgan Web page
(listed below)

> The scabbed-on wires for additional gauge lighting have been removed. The
>melted wire (LH headlight lo-beam) was traced back to a short under the dash
>(I can't believe that those things are not fused).  Someone had cobbled a
>(too-small) lighting wire onto the outside of the harness to replace it and
>hadn't fused it either.  A rolling firetrap to say the least.

The headlight switches are quite expensive.  I'd suggest that you run
a relay for the headlights, then use the headlight switch to control the
low current to the solenoid of the relay.

>I don't mind paying money for things I can't do or don't have time to do.  I
>can't build gauges, so I'm happy to pay $50 or $100 to buy one.   I can't
>make a radial tire, so $60 for one seems like a bargain to me.  I can't cast
>a water-pump housing, so $75 looks like the deal of the century compared to
>what it would take me to do it.

British Wiring has a +4 harness with a 4/4 adapter kit for about $350 which
has the cloth loom.  If you don't care about originality, cut off your
old cloth loom, replace ONLY the wires you have to, and then use the
plastic loom.  This is what I did initially until I started try to get
a National AACA trophy.

>So there's bound to be a catch.  Can I buy the same insulated female blade
>connectors that are on these cars (not the NAPA crimpies)?

I purchase the spades in bulk and cut the plastic insulators off.

>Can I buy the Lucas color-code wire so I won't have to label them
separately?

You should be able to.  Enclosed at the bottom of this post, is a list of
the various electrical suppliers I have found looking for connectors,
fuse blocks, etc for my various cars.

>Can I buy a four-fuse box (like on my MGB) and run the lighting circuit
>through it too?

Why not?  Or you can purchase several of the fuse holders like are already
on the Morgan for about $10.  Again, I'd fuse the headlights and also
put in a relay.

Automotive Electrical Wiring & Connectors

www.sema.org/
www.painlesswiring.com   - have their cat.  no connectors

---------------

I'm going to guess that the connectors used were from Packard
Industries. Packard connectors were common to GM until Delphi Industries
(AC/Delco) came up with their own invention. Packard connectors are
still quite available. As to a Bricklin wiring harness, who knows.

------------

wiring harness & electrical suppliers

Antique Auto Electric (repro wiring)
Rosemead, CA
818- 572-0938

Autoelectrics (small fim catering to the rare)
Pasadena, CA
818-575-4071

British Wiring                    Edwin & Lesley Cehelnik
20449 Ithaca                      Very competative prices
Olympia Fields, IL 60461
  (708) 481-9050

Harnesses Unlimited                (except Ford& Merc)
Wayne, PA
(215) 688-3998

M. Parker Autoworks, Inc.
150 Cooper Road
Unit C-7, Dept. HVAA
West Berlin, NJ 08091, USA
     Voice: 609.753.0350
     Fax: 609.753.035

Merv Plastics                   auto wiring supplies            10/92
201 Station Rd
Beeston Notts, NG9 2AB
(0602) 222783

Narragansett Reproductions
P.O. Box 51
107 Woodville Road
Wood River Jct., RI 02894
     Phone: (401) 364-3839
     Fax: (401) 364-3830

NAPA                                    Supposedly have a good selection of
connectors

Painless Wiring                         Full "generic" & Fuel injection
harnesses
www.painlesswiring.com                  No supplies sold seperaterly

Pease Cable & Harness                   (braided & plastic - inc fire
Wood River Junction, RI                  trucks, ambulances, etc)
401-364-3839

Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.         expensive!!!
P.O. Box 434
West Kingston, Rhode Island 02892
     (401) 789-1955
     (401) 783-0091 (Fax)

Vehicle Wiring Products
9 Buxton Court
Manners Industrial Estate
Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 8EF
phone:   0115 9305454
FAX:      0115 9440101

Y&Z's Yesterdays Parts
1615 West Fern                         Talk to Gene Zdunowski
Redlands, CA  92373
(909) 798-1498

I hope this helps!!   Let us know if you find a source for the Lucas
color coded wire.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: webus80.wang.com/BI (new adderss)