FW: Bent Chassis cures; Screw Threads

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Bent Chassis cures; Screw Threads
From: "Blair, John" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 07:32:36 -0400
As to cleaning the threads on your nuts and bolts.  I most definitely do.
Everytime
I take anything apart, my Morgan, Bricklin, or Saabs, I clean them with a
wire
wheel on my drill, mic and use a thread pitch guage to determine the the
bolts
particulars.  Then I write that down on a piece of paper along with what it
was used
for and how many were required.  At the end of the day, I enter the bolt &
info. Into
a word processor document for the bolts for that car.

This may seem a little anal but I gain several things:
1. I have a nice clean nut and bolt that will start and screw together
easly,
2. I have a record of the various nuts and bolts used on the car.  If I
loose, break...
   one, I can easily find out what it was.
3. I can go to the nuts & bolts store and buy in bulk, usually stainless
steel
    replacements.

As to how I chase the thread, I decided NOT to purchase a tap and die set.
The
Cheap sets are NOT worth the money, and can cause a lot of heart burn (when
You start breaking the taps off in things).  The good sets, cost too much
money
For me to lay down at once.  Therefore, every time I need on, I go to the
hardware
Store and purchase the size TAP & DIE that I need, either SAE or Metric.
While
I'm paying more over the long run, it doesn't hurt in the short run and I
get a quality
Item.

John

John T. Blair
jblair@scn.spawar.navy.mil
SPAWARSYSCEN Chesapeake
Chesapeake, Va                                 (757) 523-8133