Re: 'DICKEY' SEATS

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 'DICKEY' SEATS
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 11:23:29 +1000
"Dicky or Dickey(seat), a folding outside seat at the rear of some early cars."

" Rumble Seat (n. US and Canada) a folding outside seat at the rear of some
early cars; dickey"

 (The Collins Concise Dictionary).

This would indicate that a Dickey and Rumble seat are the same. In this
part of Christendom (which also comprises a good part of Islam and the
Buddhist world) this has been the understood meaning.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>Hey Chuck,
>
>Maybe in the Frozen North '"dickey seats" are the "seats in a trunk,"'
>but in the rest of Christendom seats in a trunk are "rumble seats."
>
>Shall we resort to a dictionary to settle this?
>
>--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories, Research Road
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480