'Dickey' seats

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: 'Dickey' seats
From: ROWEMOGS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 07:03:05 EDT
Dear Stuart Ross, Colin Crabb and Chuck Vandergraft,

Many thanks for your tripartite discussion held on my behalf re 'dickey'
seats.

We have established that:

1. 'That a 'dickey' seat is what you in the Colonies know as a 'rumble seat';
namely a pair of folding seats set in a rear hatch behind the principal
passenger/driver compartment. That is a two seater car, whether with a hard
or soft top over the front  seats where the two seats behind them can either
folded and closed in by a lid hinged at the bottom, or they can be open
making the car a temporary four seater.

2.  The seat originated as an open seat for servants set behind a horse drawn
carriage, while the coach's owner enjoyed relative comfort inside the coach
itself.  The idea was carried on by coachbuilders on both bespoke and 'mass
produced' cars in the '20s and '30s.  By then they were more likely to be
used for children and young adults.

3.  But who or what is/was 'dickey'?  We still don't know.  I will consult
with the Vintage Sports Car Club who, hopefully, will be able to solve this
final conundrum.  I will let you know what I discover gentlemen.

4.  I have a 1989 Plus 4 M16 four place with roll bar front and rear, Koni
telescopics all round and 160bhp at the flywhee;l.  The car has covered over
71,000 miles in these ten years, including lapping the 13 miles long Old
Nurburgring, and attending rallies in Jersey (Channel Islands), Luxembourg,
Belgium, the Netherlands and Denmark.  I attended the MCCWDC/MOPS 1995 event
in Malvern, Pennsylvania (alas without my own car) and shall be attending
'Ohmog 16' in October (Contact for that event Chas Wasser [ohmog@fuse.net])

Cheers,

Chris (Rowe)