RE: Road Trip

To: "'LSelz@aol.com'" <LSelz@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Road Trip
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:04:04 -0400
Lannis,

        My response to your question/comment "DFL'ers - Are the highways
more homogenized and colorless than they were, say, in the 50's or 60's?
Was there more variety then, or did it just seem like it to us?  We used to
love looking for fastback 49 Chevies, Volkswagens, and suicide-door
Lincolns.  I'm afraid my kids can't tell a Toyota from a Saturn from a Lexus
from a Honda, and neither can I.  They could care less about modern cars; my
14-year-old is starting to get interested in the non-running MG in my
shop......." is a definite YES!  Sure, there may be more variety in that we
now have vans, station wagons, SUVs, roadsters, sedans, etc., but there is a
lot of look alike iron out there. Back in the 50s, I used to be able to
identify a car from quite some distance but ever since the manufacturers
started to jump on whatever bandwagon that gets them to more sales, it's
very near impossible to tell one car from another, unless it is a Prowler, a
VW bug or a Viper.  I also agree with your observation about kids.  One of
our kids doesn't really care what car he drives, as long as it has a good
stereo system in it.  Some years ago I asked my daughter (she was about 14
at the time) what car one of her classmate's mother had picked her up in.
Answer: "a blue one."  Mind you, once boyfriends-who-like-cars enter the
scene, it becomes another matter altogether.
        With the homogenizing of cars, no wonder we hang onto Morgans and
other LBCs.  Let's face it, for most of us who need a car to get from Point
A to Point B and back, a car has become an appliance, just like a fridge.
Plug it in or switch it on, it had better perform or we get something else.
How many of us have the luxury to rely on a car that needs more than gas in
one end and an occasional squirt of oil, antifreeze, and water in the other?

        Chuck Vandergraaf
        Pinawa, MB