morgan brakes

To: "'pdburket@intrepid.net'" <pdburket@intrepid.net>,
Subject: morgan brakes
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:54:53 -0400
David -  I am currently running a Moss-boxed +8 with the SVRA vintage group
(I'm a 49 year old "rookie").  I am using the standard Lucas/Girling dual
master cylinder as fitted to the early seventies Morgans.  I purchased it from
Melvyn Rutter but I'm sure it can be sourced in the US.  Be advised it is
heart-stoppingly expensive, but then again, what price do you put on your own
safety?  I've had no problems so far, all my schools and two races so far -
probably 1000 miles of pretty hard driving.  Also suggest replacing your rubber
flexible brakes hoses (which rot, chafe, swell, etc) with proper aeroquip
lines.  Use Castrol LMA brake fluid (not silicone) and change/bleed fluid every
year.  Your brake system should last twenty years.  Apple hydraulics can
rebuild your calipers with new rubbers and s/s pistons quickly and  reasonably.
 Servos?  Save your money (personal opinion).  My car had a servo when I bought
it.  When the servo goes bad, brake fluid gets sucked into the engine where it
gets "burned" and air gets into the brake system causing a spongy pedal.  I
disconnected/bypassed the servo and noticed no difference in pedal effort or
braking performance.

          Craig Seibert     (1961 4/4 and 1968+8)