Muffling a 4/4

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Muffling a 4/4
From: Larry Mamlet <mamlet@dmv.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:59:06 -0400
My '63 4/4 1600 needs a muffler.  I don't need the rough roar that comes
from the intact exhaust system to convince me that I am in fact driving a
sports car.

The local muffler people here insist no stock after-market can will fit and
informed me that what is presently mounted is only a resonator.  (It was
sold to me by the Maryland inspection station because the glasspak on it
was not legal in this state.)

1)  Does anyone know of an inexpensive muffler that will fit?

2) Does the 4/4 really use a straight tail pipe that just misses the tire?

Thanks.

Larry Mamlet