Re: Muffling a 4/4

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Muffling a 4/4
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:50:31 -0400
At 10:59 AM 6/26/99 -0400, Larry Mamlet  wrote:

>My '63 4/4 1600 needs a muffler.  I don't need the rough roar that comes
>from the intact exhaust system to convince me that I am in fact driving a
>sports car.
>
>The local muffler people here insist no stock after-market can will fit and
>informed me that what is presently mounted is only a resonator.  (It was
>sold to me by the Maryland inspection station because the glasspak on it
>was not legal in this state.)
>
>1)  Does anyone know of an inexpensive muffler that will fit?

Larry, have had several Thrush mufflers put on my 65 4/4.  It is a streight,
clyndrical muffler about 3ish inches in dia.  It fits nicely.

>2) Does the 4/4 really use a straight tail pipe that just misses the tire?

Basically that is correct!!  As Richard says, there is a slight zig.  In
fact I catually had mine make a slight U at the axle.  I think that gave
me just a little more clearence.  But it is basically streight and does
come very close to the rear tire.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org