Re: Valve clearances on a TR engine.

To: harald.sakshaug@datapower.no, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve clearances on a TR engine.
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 05:08:06 EDT
Haral,
A simple way of adjusting your valves is to adjust the ones oposite those
that are open.  You will notice that the engine always stops with two rockers
down.  It will be the first and third or second and fifth from the front, or
the first and third or second and fifth from the rear.  Simply adjust the
opposites.  ie.  When one and three are open, adjust six and eight.  Works
every time!
Back in `62  when racing my SS I became curious as to why anyone would give a
hoot what the cold clearances were.  Engines don`t run cold.  So I bought an
expensive device called a P&G Valve Gapper from the friendly Snap Off guy and
did a little research.  Results = they are the same cold and hot, BUT during
warm up they become looser.  Conclusion = the push rods take longer to become
fully heated and thus the engine becomes taller faster than the pushrods
become longer.  Did you ever notice that the old VW engines were relatively
quiet when cold but got noisy as they warmed up? Aluminum engines vs. steel
push rods!  TR engines always tick a bit.  It tells you they are happy.
Don Greimel
Decoy Capital of the World