Valve clearances on a TR engine.

To: "MORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve clearances on a TR engine.
From: Harald Sakshaug <harald.sakshaug@datapower.no>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:51:15 +0200
Hi fellow Morganeers,

I have only the Brookcland repair manual to use with my 55 DHC...
This book does not contain much about the Standard Vanguard or TR
engines.
In fact I am somewhat confused about how to adjust the valve clearances.
I think the book states (inc.) .010 and .012 (inlet and exhaust)
clearances on a cold engine.
This is about (mm) 25 and 30 blades I presume.
The book also tells that the clearances should be measured when the
engine is one half turn after the valve just had closed. I usually
adjust no. cylinder when the distributor points to no. 1 spark plug wire
and continue through 1-3-4-2 by that. But I think my valves tick a
little to much especially when the engine is hot. When it is cold it
seems fine but after it is heated up i think it is noisy.

I am probably doing things wrong, since I don't follow the book
precisely. Can anyone tell me a good way to adjust valves on the TR
engines ?

I actually don't know if my car has a TR2 or a TR3 engine. The
enginenumber TSA770FRE tells me very little. Without the A it would be a
early TR2, and what does the FR stand for ? I'm not shure.
The engine in my car is swapped years ago, #3254 was originally
delivered with the Vanguard unit.
The present engine could have come from a car equipped with a TR family
engine, since the prefix and suffix of the engine don't follow standard
TR engine numbering.
As with the M in the enginenumbers used in Morgans stands for Morgan, so
perhaps the FR suffix is for Francis Barnett or something. I haven't the
faintest idea what the A stands for.

Does anyone know a bullet proof sign on the engine for if it is a TR2 or
TR3 ? Or maybe someone can help me out figuring where the engine is
originated ?

Best Regards,