'Dickey' Seats

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: 'Dickey' Seats
From: ROWEMOGS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:19:33 EDT
Dear Chuck, Colin and Stuart,

According to our the Reference Library at the National Motor Museum at
Beaulieu:

"Your third query, regarding the origin of the term 'dickey seat', was rather
more difficult to answer.  I enclose extracts from 'Chambers English
Dictionary' and 'Weekly's Etymological Dictionary' which give some clues as
to the origin of the term.  Chambers confirms the carriage/coach origin,
while Weekly, quoting the slang use of 'dickey' to mean something inferior
(or shaky!) gives us a possible derivation of the term  - an 'inferior' seat
on a carriage or coach for the use of servants.  'Shakiness' may well have
been an attribute of some of the servants seating on carriages'

So we appear to have rumbled that one - what about the origin of the term
'rumble seat'?  Your turn to make enquiries!

Best wishes,

Chris