RE: 'Dickey' Seats

To: <ROWEMOGS@aol.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 'Dickey' Seats
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 06:08:08 -0400
Chris,
As a Brit, I can tell you that we use the word 'dickey' to refer to
something that is 'suspect', works intermittently, or doesn't work right -
it doesn't really mean inferior, rather 'uncertain'.

eg:
"Why are your lights not working?"
"Oh, the switch is a bit dickey"

or,
"How's you son Harold?"
"Oh, he's not doing so well, you know what with his dickey heart and all"

Also, I think that the reference he found in the dictionary, refers to
terminology that was adopted more recently than horse and carriage days.
My dad is 85, he's a car buff (if I can get him to hear me) I'll ask him
next time I give him a call.

Regards,

Jeff