Re: Morgan decambering

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morgan decambering
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:03:02 -0400
Hey gang.  I received the following post from Jim Higerd this
evening looking for info on the decambering mod.  Since I haven't
installed the mod on my car so I can't say much either way.  I'm
wondering what others have to say about it, and weither it is
better for street use and or racing.

I don't know if Jim is on the Morgan mailing list or not, so you
might want to cc him at  jhigerd@mkainc.com

John

---------------------------

At 12:02 PM 8/2/99 -0600, Jim Higerd wrote:

>I was checking the alignment on my 1959 +4 and discovered one side was 0
>camber and the other was -2 camber. I checked and found a broken weld on
>the lower tube next to tesion rod connection on the side where the -2
>camber wheel was. There does not appear to be any other damage - no
>distorted or bent tube or twisted metal.
>
>In my process of fixing this, I am considering decambering the front end.
>Should I try for a 0 camber or is it better to have a little positive
>camber? The car will be used on the road in Colorado, not for racing. I do
>and will have radial tires. For now I am thinking of adding the decamber
>style plate and setting it for 0 camber. If it is worth it I can make a
>plate that is adjustable but I suspect others have found the ideal camber
>setting for road trips and tire wear.
>
>Any comments you may have?
>
>Sincerely,
>Jim Higerd

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org